Community & Family Services Worker
Posted on 11-Sep-2020 by The Salvation Army North Bay Community Church & Family Services
Location Nipissing, North Bay
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world. Each position contributes to the mission of The Salvation Army.
Permanent full-time employment with The Salvation Army (25+ hours per week) will provide you with a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes: vacation time, sick days, employer matching RRSP contributions, Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits, Christmas Grants and Employee and Family Assistance Program [EFAP] benefits.
Watch/read inspiring stories from some of those who have been helped through The Salvation Army’s programs:
The Salvation Army Support
Fleeing from Persecution
Open House: Poverty isn't always easy to see
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
- Give oversight to community ministries programs, ensuring ministry objectives are consistently accomplished and that a spiritual focus is applied to all program initiatives
- Conduct intake interviews, client assessment and emergency assistance for clients to determine immediate needs and supports required
- Refer clients to Corps Officer for pastoral assistance
- Provide direction and support to all family services volunteers and student placements, ensuring that they work together to achieve the purpose of the organization and enhance the ministries of The Salvation Army
- Recruitment, orientation, performance management of volunteers and student placements in consultation with Corps Officer or designate
- Develop strategies and recommendations for volunteer development
- Network with Salvation Army, government and community social service providers to coordinate resources for the benefit of clients and program
- Maintain accurate, confidential records of client information on The Salvation Army’s computer system while maintaining confidentiality and providing statistical reports
- Develop and maintain a good understanding of services provided by external agencies
- Organize season or special programs i.e. Christmas Hamper Program, Drop-in centre and Community Kitchen, etc.
- Participate in the development and implementation of policies and procedures for Family Services
- Periodically review assistance guidelines with Corps Officer
- Recruit and register children and youth for The Salvation Army provincial camping programs
- In consultation with Corps Officer, follow up with children and youth who attend The Salvation Army summer camp programs, including their families, in order to build relationships and establish active links with the Corps and its mission and ministries
- Assist the Corps Officer with ongoing strategic planning to ensure programming reflects client need as these may evolve in our changing socioeconomic climate
- Actively promote North Bay Community Church and Community & Family Services programs to food bank clients
- Client referral to other community resources where appropriate
- Network with local Community College and University around student placement
- Oversee student placement assignment and conduct weekly supervisory meetings, mid and end-point evaluations
- Oversee and complete appropriate reporting for community-based grants
- Work with other Family Services staff to maintain, promote and improve the profile of The Salvation Army North Bay Community Church and Community & Family Services programs within the community
Financial and Administration
- Maximize utilization of all computerized management programs i.e. Link2Feed and/or external programs as necessary
- Enter and maintain personal and assistance data in an accurate and timely manner in Link2Feed (for Ontario Food Bank Association) while maintaining confidentiality
- Prepare/provide statistical reports and monthly statistics as necessary for SAMIS reporting
- Prepare and distribute brochures to organizations throughout the county promoting services
- May provide input to Corps Officer with regards to operational budget managed by DHQ Finance
- Maintain written records, logs of activities, including activity reports, and statistical information keeping Salvation Army computer programs (such as Link2Feed) updated
- Perform other position related duties as required
- Ability to lift/move 20 lbs./10 kilos.
- Working environment is typically in the office in generally agreeable conditions
- Some travel may be required with this position
Education, Qualifications and Certifications:
- Completion of a Community College Diploma in Social Services work or equivalent
- Safe Food Handling Certification
- First Aid/CPR Certification
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention training preferred
- Conflict Resolution skills are a definite asset
- Alternative combinations of education and experience may be considered
Experience and Skilled Knowledge Requirements
- Minimum of two (2) years of prior related experience in providing casework services, documenting and maintaining case files, working collaboratively with other service providers, community outreach, and working with people of diverse backgrounds
- Strong one to one counselling skills and experience
- Knowledge of community-based resources is required and experience networking with government and social service agencies
- Develop an understanding of the Mission of The Salvation Army in Canada and its implications as related to position responsibilities
- Ensure all clients are treated with dignity and respect
- Treat the property of The Salvation Army with due care and caution
- Ability to maintain information in confidence and exercise good judgement
- Able to work independently and participate as an active and responsible team member
- Participate in mandatory orientation training, on-going professional development and training
- Participate in regular supervision and performance appraisal process
- Represent the organization in a professional and engaging manner
- Must comply with all Salvation Army policies and procedures and associated legislation
- Exhibit good listening skills, have strong oral/written communication skills and respect authority
- Represent The Salvation Army in a positive manner
- Work in compliance with OH&S Act and Regulations and abide by The Salvation Army’s health and safety policies and procedures
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
- Demonstrate a high level of integrity, good judgment and ability to maintain appropriate confidentiality
- Strong ability to work with difficult or emotionally needy people in a patient and compassionate manner
- Be able to work effectively with economically disadvantaged people
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team with supervision in a multi-faceted environment
- Proficient computer skills in all aspects of Microsoft Office
- Valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s License
- Support for and an understanding of the mission and purpose of The Salvation Army in Canada
Successful candidate will be required to provide upon hiring:
- A clear vulnerable sector screening. The screening is secured either through the national Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) or through a local police detachment
- May require screening through The Salvation Army Abuse Registry
- A clean drivers abstract
- Participate in our online Armatus Abuse Training and Health and Safety training required upon hiring, as well as updated annually
HOURS: 35 hours per week. Schedule may vary according to requirements of responsibilities – some weekend and evening work may be required.
SALARY: $18.50 per hour
Interested applicants are asked to contact Major Bonita McGory by September 18, 2020
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
Internal Applicants, please advise Department Heads of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.