Cook - Childcare
Posted on 29-Dec-2020 by YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka
Location Parry Sound, Town of Parry Sound
Childcare Cook - Parry Sound
Parry Sound, ON, Canada Req #44
Tuesday, December 29, 2020
Looking for a Cook/Assistant Teacher to join our Parry Sound Child Care Team.
LOCATION: Parry Sound YMCA Child Care
SALARY & BENEFITS:
- Pay rate $15.50-16.50/hour
- A complimentary YMCA membership which encourages you to embrace the Y’s philosophy of health and well-being
Under the direction of the Supervisor, Child and Family Development the Cook is responsible for the planning, organization, purchasing and preparation of the daily snacks and lunches for the assigned Child Care Program areas in accordance with the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Health.
- Follows the supervision and guidance of the Supervisor, Child and Family Development
- Adherence to the YMCA Child Protection Policies and Procedures
- Demonstrate strong support and commitment to community activities, representing the YMCA in a professional manner
- Works to maintain active and effective communication and information networks within the centre and community agencies working with individual children and families regarding nutritional needs and diet
- Develops positive relationships and collaborative partnerships with parents
- Seeks opportunities to deepen connections and increase engagement of parents and children in care, providing further opportunities to get involved in other YMCA programs, such as camp, summer club, PA days, holiday breaks, etc.
- Adherence to all provincial and federal legislation relevant to job description
PROGRAM, FOOD PREPARATION AND SANITATION
- Understands and complies with all legislation, guidelines and policies that pertain to:
- MEDU Day Nurseries Act Licensing
- Department of Health and municipal bi-laws and regulations
- Board of Education Occupancy Standards
- Employment Act Legislation
- Ontario Legislation as applicable to the reporting of Abuse
- YMCA Standards, Guidelines and Policies
- Responsible to prepare a five week rotating menu for child care centre that meets YMCA Menu Planning Protocol.
- Prepare one hot lunch and two snacks per day following the five week menu
- Supply special dietary meals if necessary, taking children's allergies and special parental direction into consideration. Information from both sites to be posted in kitchen.
- Responsible for food and kitchen inventory as well as the ordering of all food supplies.
- Post all menu changes on the monthly menu plan and in the daily journal
- Record all hot and cold holding food holding temperature as necessary including at catered sites, (record must be maintained for two years)
- Record all fridge temperatures twice daily and freezer temperatures once daily, (record must be maintained for two years)
- Handle food and dishes in accordance to the Ministry of Health Regulations
- Cleaning and sanitizing of kitchen equipment daily
- Clean and sanitize cupboards, fridge and food storage areas on a weekly basis or more often if necessary
- Maintain all health and safety requirements, including but not limited to WHIMIS
- Ensure that meals are prepared in proper quantity in relation to the number of children
- Utilize a feedback form to ensure quantities and types of meal at catering sites are adequate
- Notification of centre supervisor if unable to work or arrange for supply staff if required
- Works as a team member with other staff and supervisor
- Ensures all programs are accessible, appropriate and safe
- Identifies and seeks support to act on opportunities for program enhancement
- Assists in supervision of lunch, and sets up and cleans room to meet needs of activities and programs
- Understanding of early childhood education principles, practices and standards
- Required to move program equipment both large and small and undertake cleaning duties
- May be required to be a ratio staff in program with the children
- Occasional use of computers for administrative support purposes. (Typing menus, allergy lists)
- Assist to achieve financial viability within the child care center. Tracking food expenses, in alignment with amount budgeted and/or current enrollment
- Daily record of food serving and refrigeration temperature logs are complete
- Documents incidents and follows up with supervisor and parents when appropriate
- Secondary Education Diploma
- Safe Food Handler Certificate
- Operation of Food Services equipment i.e. oven, stove, cooking appliances
- Must have knowledge of children's nutritional requirements according to Canada's Food Guide, MEDU and the Ministry of Health legislation
- Capacity to work within a team and be part of a large multi-service, charitable Association
- Flexibility regarding assigned working hours, particularly regarding split shifts
- Well-developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills
Successful candidates will be required to provide the following prior to first day of work:
- Up-to-date Standard First Aid and CPR (Level C) certification
- Successful completion of Police Records Check within the last 6 months
- Up-to-date immunizations
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please be advised that all offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening.
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. Our goal is a diverse, inclusive workforce that reflects the communities we serve. Individuals needing employment accommodation in the hiring process or job postings in an alternative format may contact the Human Resources department.
Instructions for Applying: