Day Program Assistant
Posted on 18-Dec-2018 by L'Arche North Bay
Location Nipissing, North Bay
L'Arche North Bay is seeking an assistant for our Day Program. The Day Program Assistant works in collaboration with his/her program team to ensure and to nurture the well-being, growth and development of core members in the program in accordance with the principles, values and philosophy outlined in the Charter of L'Arche, Mission Statement of L'Arche and the L'Arche Canada Servant Leadership Model.
- Primary one-to-one support for an individual with complex needs.
- In collaboration with team members, support the physical, psychological and emotional well-being of the core members who come to the program.
- Accompany individuals to appointments, activities within the community, and other activities outside the home.
- Respond to each person's individual needs by respectfully supporting them with daily living skills, personal hygiene, and where needed, administering medication.
- Encourage each person to achieve the highest level of independence in personal care and relationships.
- Maintain up-to-date training requirements.
- Understand and adhere to all L'Arche North Bay community standards, policies and procedures.
- Follow the schedule and priorities outlined by the Day Program Team Lead.
- Perform other related activities as necessary or assigned.
- Communicate effectively with team in order to pass on pertinent information.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- DSW or equivalent preferred.
- Minimum of 1-2 years' experience supporting people with intellectual disabilities.
- Demonstrated experience and passion for supporting individuals with complex behavioural support needs.
- Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening.
- A minimum valid G2 driver's license with a clean driver's abstract.
- Understanding of L'Arche and its mission.
- Demonstrated ability to monitor and respond to sudden changing environment.
- Demonstrated ability to fully implement and monitor behavioural support plans and supporting documents.
- Demonstrated ability to empower others and promote independence.
- Effective communication skills.
- Proven conflict resolution skills.
- Strong team spirit, able to work cooperatively.