Posted on 23-Aug-2020 by The Erb Group of Companies
Location Nipissing, North Bay
A full-time Dock Foreman position is available at our North Bay location.
Shift Details: Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday; 10 hour shifts on Nights
- Occasional overtime may be required
- To understand Erb Transport’s operational procedures in regards to the dock, yard, and dispatch operations in North Bay.
- Must understand the functions of the dock and the various duties of dock personnel (sorting, unloading, loading responsibilities, etc.)
- Will act as a relief dispatcher when required and process docking and undocking of loads through TMS for approximately 2 hours per shift.
- Responsible to prioritize incoming and outgoing freight and to work with dispatch regarding loads, drivers, volume of freight and progress of dock and loading.
- Ensure proper handling of product to avoid injury to employee, damages, freezing, and thawing of product.
- Communicate with Dock Manager or Operations Manager regarding personnel, operations and shipping issues. In addition, follow up with staff regarding loading concerns and OS&D issues.
- Must be aware of all Erb Company Health and Safety policies, and ensure all staff adhere to these safety policies at all times. May also be asked to assist with conducting monthly Health and Safety meetings.
- Assist and conduct required training with staff or new hires.
- Monitor use and maintenance of dock equipment i.e. repairs, inspections etc.
- Monitor product in freezer area, pallet sorting, and outside carrier activity. Relay to Management for any required follow up.
- Communicate with and assist the Dock Manager to plan shifts and work schedules. Track hours worked by employees, i.e. punching out and staying after hours.
- Communicate any discipline issues with Management and follow up with staff when required.
- Support yard operations and shunting of units as required to keep dock operations on schedule.
- Will be required to salt surfaces and remove snow from terminal exits in the wintertime.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Positive attitude with proven people skills.
- Ability to be fair but firm with staff on shift.
- Honest, and trustworthy, with excellent listening skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to provide praise and give constructive criticism to staff.
- Strong desire for continuous positive change.
- Quality decision-making skills, and ability to use good judgement.
- Ability to remain calm in demanding times.
- Strong time management skills.
- Have an understanding of routing, OS&D, dock and yard procedures as well as Erb paper flow.
- Fork lift licence and walk behind certificates required.
- Secondary school diploma or equivalent required.
- Previous supervisory experience is preferred but not required.
- Thorough knowledge of the TMS system for dock as well as dispatch.
- Work environment will be a refrigerated dock and freezer, in addition to exposure to fluctuating weather conditions.
- Flexibility to cover other shifts within the dock, yard, and dispatch
Instructions for Applying: