Posted on 15-May-2020 by Ontario Northland
Location Nipissing, North Bay
The Legal Counsel shall be responsible for providing legal advice and services to all departments of Ontario Northland, senior management and the executive primarily in the areas of real estate and litigation/claims.
MAJOR DUTIES/ RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leases and Licenses: Draft and review land and building leases and licenses for the use of Ontario Northland’s real property, including crossing agreements.
- Land Sales: Complete transactions for the sale of Ontario Northland’s real property.
- Contaminated Property: Draft and review tolling agreements and permission to enter agreements with third parties related to third party contamination of Ontario Northland property. Review environmental testing reports upon receipt. Maintain an up-to-date list of contaminated properties with action items.
- General Real Estate: Provide advice to all departments regarding realty matters. Update the Ontario Northland realty policy in response to changes in provincial directives and Ontario Northland’s processes.
- Litigation: Manage and track litigation matters and manage and provide instructions to external counsel assigned to the matters.
- Claims: Review third party claims made against Ontario Northland for personal injuries and property damage and negotiate resolution with the complainant.
- Insurance: Manage the corporation’s insurance program, including annual renewals and updates to coverage. Liaise with the insurance brokers regarding insured litigation and claims. Provide advice regarding insurance provisions in agreements with third parties.
- Commercial: Provide advice on, draft and review commercial agreements as required.
- Other duties as required, including legal research, drafting policies and procedures and acting as General Counsel for the corporation during times when General Counsel is not available.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of real property law, including the ability to interpret title documents, draft real property related documents and complete sale transactions for real property.
- Ability to draft and review commercial agreements.
- Ability to analyze claims and determine the appropriate resolution, while protecting the interests of Ontario Northland.
- Ability to interpret insurance policies and determine appropriate levels of insurance coverage in commercial agreements based on the allocation of risk between the parties.
- Ability to draft and review unique commercial agreements.
- Legal research skills, including ability to use Westlaw and Lexis-Nexis.
- Superior interpersonal skills and the ability to create working relationships with people at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to explain complex legal concepts and issues in a manner understandable by people with limited knowledge of legal matters.
Education and Experience:
- Lawyer member of the Law Society of Ontario or the ability to obtain a membership.
- A minimum of two years’ experience practicing any one of real property, personal injury or commercial law and an interest in acquiring experience in the other areas.
- Experience working in the public sector would be an asset.
- Experience working with railways, public transportation and/or manufacturing would be an asset.
- Experience managing a corporate insurance program would be an asset.
- Knowledge of environmental law would be an asset.
CLOSING DATE: May 31, 2020 no later than 11:59 p.m. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Qualified individuals are invited to apply in writing with a current covering letter and resume (provided in one document), stating reference name and number.