Posted on 06-Apr-2021 by DSI Underground
Location Nipissing, West Nipissing
DSI Underground Canada Ltd. (DSI’s) scope of business includes the manufacturing and supply of ground support equipment for the mining industries. Its systems are known worldwide for innovation, quality and reliability.
The maintenance manager directs and manages all maintenance operations with overall responsibility for ensuring that all equipment is properly maintained and repaired in a safe operating condition. Implements a preventative maintenance program and ship various items from our facilities. Designs and fabricates productions tooling / improvements and maintains critical list of spare parts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Functional / Technical Skills
- Manage maintenance and repairs of buildings, fixtures, shop equipment, tools, forklifts, and lifting devices.
- Responsible for overseeing the management of the maintenance budget, expenses, and equipment depreciation to ensure controls on waste and cost.
- Provide recommendations for cost control, productivity, and process improvements.
- Initiate purchase requisitions for equipment repair, machine spare parts and consumable parts.
- Direct and schedule activities of technical and non-technical maintenance employees
- Schedule and delegate tasks to maintenance personnel to ensure smooth business operations.
- Contracting and supervise temporary or third-party personnel to ensure duties are effectively performed.
- Ensure facility premises are maintained in a clean and orderly manner.
- Conform with and abides by all regulations, policies, work procedures and instructions.
- Perform other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
- Provide input and recommendations for equipment purchases and replacement.
- Keep accurate record of maintenance logs and provide reports to local and regional management on daily operations
- Recognize unsafe acts and corrects the situation, making suggestions on creating a safe and healthy work environment.
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism when dealing with staff and other departments within DSI, customers and visitors.
- Design, implement, monitor, perform and evaluate a preventative maintenance program for all process and facility equipment to reduce the risk of equipment failure and maximize productivity.
- Create and maintain a list of critical spare parts for each machine and equipment in the facility.
- Support Engineering Department with capital projects and improvements.
- Ensures compliance to OH&S standards and legislation, including adherence to the company workplace safety policies, ensuring proper records are maintained and the correct information is documented.
- Performs modifications to enhance performance and increase safety.
- Arranges and supervises subcontractors to perform special repairs (e.g. electrical, boilers).
- Participates in various projects such as asset replacement, plant modification or construction improvement projects.
- Ensures employees are adhering to quality and workmanship standards.
- Operates the required tools and machinery in a safe, efficient, cost effective and productive manner with the resulting product conforming to quality standards.
People Management / People Development
- Evaluates employee’s performance, prepares performance reviews in a timely manner and in coordination with HR.
- Facilitates and motivates employees for continuous development through coaching, education and training.
- Manages employee hours worked, overtime, and vacation for payroll purposes and monitors against budget.
- Works to maintain an environment of trust and high morale among employees.
- Ensures effective performance improvement plans are initiated and appropriate disciplinary actions taken that align with company policies and meet corporate guidelines.
- Mechanical experience.
Education and/or Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in a field such as facility management, mechanical engineering, or electrical engineering, or in a related technical/trade management discipline.
- 5-7 years of related experience in a manufacturing / industrial environment.
- Specialized training in heavy-duty machinery, electronics, PLC and hydraulics is preferred.
- Excellent workmanship standards.
- Knowledge/understanding of DSI products and functions.
- Ability to recognize the need for work required within an area or the facility.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively within a unionized environment.
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office and adaptable to other software applications.