Personal Support Worker
Posted on 03-Sep-2020 by Nipissing Mental Health Housing & Support Services
Location Nipissing, North Bay
Competition Number 2020-36
Position: Personal Support Worker (Residential Worker)
Program: Specialized Housing
Initially Assigned to: Percy Place
Purpose: Reporting to the manager of the Specialized Housing Program, Personal Support Workers provide hands on assistance to clients and the Specialized Housing Program. Personal Support Workers will be responsible for providing care focusing on the client’s activities of daily living.
Education and training:
- Proof of successful completion of a Personal Support Worker (PSW) certificate from a recognized Ontario PSW program or 3 to 5 years’ experience providing personal support in the daily living of residential clients.
- A negative Police Vulnerable Sector Check.
- A valid class G driver’s license and proof of insurance.
- Daily access to a reliable vehicle.
- Current CPR certificate- level C. or willingness to obtain.
- Current Non-Violent Crisis Intervention (NVCI) training or willingness to obtain.
- Current Safe Food Handling course or willingness to obtain.
- Must be able to perform the physical demands of the job; lifting, carrying, positioning, transferring, holding, benching.
- Personal Support Worker (PSW) certificate plus 1 year of experience or 3-5 years of experience without a PSW certificate.
- Recent experience working with vulnerable populations, specifically adults living with a serious and persistent mental illness and/or ABI and/or addictions or complex healthcare needs.
- Basic working knowledge of computer software.
- Ability to work cooperatively and independently with minimal supervision and as part of a team.
- Effective problem solving and decision making skills.
- Proficiency in managing challenging behaviours.
- Excellent interpersonal/verbal/written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality as per PHIPA (Personal Health Information Protection Act)
- Commitment to continuous learning.
- Demonstrated positive work record and good attendance.
- Demonstrated commitment to client and family centered care.
- Willing to work flexible hours; days, evenings, overnights, weekends and holidays.
Candidates will be selected for the position on the basis of their skill, ability, experience and qualifications as identified in their resume. Preference will be given to those who have a PSW certificate.
Shift: Days, evenings, overnights, weekends and holidays.
French Language Services Required: Bilingualism is an asset. If no bilingual candidates (both internal and external) meet the qualifications, unilingual candidates will be considered.