Posted on 06-Jan-2021 by North Bay Regional Health Centre
Location Nipissing, North Bay
Applications are invited from qualified individuals to fill the following position:
Temporary Full-Time Physician Assistant
Acute Inpatient Medicine
NBRHC – NORTH BAY
DESCRIPTION OF TOWN/CITY:
Known as Ontario’s Gateway City, North Bay is located 3.5 hours north of Toronto and 3.5 hours west of Ottawa. With a population of 54,000, it is safe and welcoming community that offers a healthy and balanced environment for working, living and raising a family. North Bay boasts beautiful scenery, four distinct seasons of activities, adverse economy and a new state-of-the art regional health centre which is an affiliation academic teaching centre with the Northern Ontario School of Medicine (NOSM). New Videos now available at http://www.investinnorthbay.ca/about-us/videos.
DESCRIPTION OF EMPLOYER:
The North Bay Regional Health Centre (NBRHC) is a unique health care organization with three primary roles. It provides acute care services to North Bay and its surrounding communities, is a district referral centre providing specialist services for smaller communities in the area; and is specialized mental health service provider for the Northeast Region of Ontario which spans from Muskoka area to the Hudson Bay, and from the Quebec border to Sault Ste Marie. NBRHC has 409 beds and numerous outpatient and outreach services and is one of four major acute care hospitals in the Region. The others being Health Sciences North in Sudbury, Sault Area Hospital in Sault Ste Marie; and Timmins District Hospital in Timmins. The immediate area surrounding North Bay is also served by small community hospitals like Mattawa and West Nipissing General Hospitals.
A major teaching centre for students in medicine, psychiatry, nursing and allied health professions, NBRHC is proud to not only be affiliated with NOSM, but also Nipissing University, Canadore College and other Ontario colleges and universities. NBRHC chairs the development of regional Academic Health Science research Network to better address the unique needs of the north, overcome barriers that impact health care and ensure the transfer of knowledge into innovative evidence based care solutions.
Energetic and motivated individual needed to work as a Physician Assistant with a dynamic and collegial team. Reporting to either the Medical Director of Medicine or Medical Director/Chief of Department, the Physician Assistant will work in collaboration with Internal Medicine physicians in accordance with the college of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario’s policy on delegation and under Medical Directives. The Physician Assistant will work within an inter-professional collaborative team model with various disciplines providing assessment, treatment, rehabilitation and transitional support for patients with a broad range of complex medical co-morbidities. The Physician Assistant will demonstrate strong theoretical knowledge base and clinical competence in care for patient’s primarily non urgent patients. This will involve collecting and interpreting current, historical and diagnostic information about the patient for the proposed of establishing a diagnostic formulation including the identification of risk factors.
He/She will have the opportunity to work with a diverse patient population. As part of the inter-professional team, quality improvement will be part of the PA’s role and he/she will have an opportunity to research and perform administrative responsibilities. Responsibilities will also include coordinating and participating in policy and procedure development as well as education and professional development. They will act as a resource and consultant to individuals and groups within our professional community and other agencies and hospitals.
Principal responsibilities include of the Physician Assistant will include but not limited to:
- Assist with flow of acute orphan inpatients
- Participate in patient treatment and goal setting
- Conduct patient interviews and take medical histories
- Perform physical examinations and interpret findings
- Organize laboratory and diagnostic investigations
- Participate in the screening/assessment/management of dynamic risk factors
- Perform certain controlled acts under medical directives delegated by the internal medicine group
- Counsel patients on preventive healthcare and chronic disease management
- Organize follow-up appointment with patients from hospital to community partners
- Collaborate with both inpatient and outpatient multidisciplinary teams
The hours worked by the PA include a rotational schedule including weekdays and weekends, no overnight call, Evening hours included. Salary competitive.
REPORTS TO: Department of Medicine Medical Director or Medical Director/Chief of Department
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Graduate of the McMaster or Consortium Physician Assistant Program
- Current BCLS/ACLS Certification (recent as of one year) required
- PACCC Certified undergrad, degree in health related field an asset
- Previous experience, within 2-3 years in acute inpatient medicine an asset
- Must have or be able to obtain certification of added skills and delegated medical acts specific to the departments by the end of the orientation period
- Excellent verbal and written communication required
- Ability to function both independently and as an active member of the multidisciplinary team in caring for all patients
- Involved in continuing education on an ongoing basis and demonstrate commitment to quality improvement required
- Good attendance work record required
- Computer application experience preferred
- Must demonstrate commitment to ensure your safety, the safety of fellow workers, patients, volunteers and visitors
- Bilingualism (Advanced level English/French) is required. All unilingual candidates are encouraged to apply and may be considered if the identified French requirement has been met or there are no successful bilingual candidates. A formal French test will be conducted to evaluate the proficiency level.
Criminal Reference Check including the Vulnerable Sector Check:
recent within three (3) months is a requirement