Production Worker - Sawmill
Posted on 10-Sep-2020 by Almaguin Forest Products
Location Parry Sound, South River
Almaguin Forest Products is a subsidiary of Haliburton Forest & Wild Life Reserve and produces approximately 4.5 million fbm per year of hardwood lumber and sawmill residues, as well as hardwood timber products like veneer, sawlogs, firewood, and pulp.
Haliburton Forest is a diverse company. It is an outdoor lover’s paradise and a wood lover’s dream. It is a research facility and an education centre. It is a property where members of our community make their livelihoods, and thousands of visitors make their day. Haliburton Forest is 100,000 acres, 100 lakes, and millions of trees, and it is home to countless creatures. Above all, and always, it is a sustainably managed forest.
In summary, Haliburton Forest is one company with two divisions and seven businesses. We provide year-round employment to 60 people and work closely on a regular basis with 30 independent contractors. With a skilled management team and a tight operational focus, our business strategy is to be environmentally sustainable, socially responsible, and economically viable in everything that we do, in order that Haliburton Forest may grow and improve over the very long term.
Reporting to the Manager the Sawmill Employee will be primarily responsible for sorting lumber on the boardway as it comes through the mill.
The following responsibilities are assigned to this position:
- Sorting and stacking lumber as it goes through the mill.
- Ensuring lumber is stacked based on grades assigned by the Grader.
- Keeping a clean and safe work space at all times.
- Performs all tasks in accordance with established safe work practices and standard operating procedures
- Other duties as assigned
The following criteria are the minimum qualifications required for this position:
- Previous experience in a sawmill environment would be considered an asset.
- Fork Lift License would be considered an asset
- Ability to work in a physical product type environment
- Ability to embrace hands on solutions to complex challenges
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic
- Flexibility to work overtime as required.
This position will not require the supervision of staff.
The schedule for this role is Monday to Thursday 10 hours per day. Flexibility and ability to work overtime may be required.
COMPENSATION, BENEFITS & PERKS:
Compensation will be determined based on the experience of the candidate. Similar to all positions with Haliburton Forest & Wild Life Reserve and its subsidiaries, this position offers three weeks of paid vacation, health benefits after six months, and unlimited recreational access to the 100,000 acres of private land owned and managed by Haliburton Forest & Wild Life Reserve.
This position is available to start immediately. Please apply to this position at your earliest convenience.