Posted on 11-May-2020 by Raytheon Technologies
Location Nipissing, North Bay
Job Description: The North Warning System (NWS) is a joint United States and Canadian radar system that includes 47 radar sites spanning the Arctic from Labrador to the Alaska border. The NWS provides the capability to detect airborne threats across North America's polar region, providing a command and control capability to the Canadian Air Defence Sector (CADS) of the North American Aerospace Defence Command (NORAD).
Raytheon provides Operations and Maintenance (O&M) of the NWS system including full care, custody, and control of the entire NWS and its components. This includes 47 radar sites; five logistics support sites (LSSs), a monitoring and control center, and a radar depot. Key activities include radar, equipment and facilities maintenance/repair; logistics support; and remote monitoring and control.
Raytheon seeks a North Warning System Control Centre (NWSCC) Radar Technician to support the NWS system O&M contract; the position is located at the NWSCC in North Bay, ON working in a 7 day x 24 hour shift environment.
Responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assisting in the maintenance of NWS systems, including but not limited to, AN/FPS-124 Radar, AN/FPS-117 Radar, router based IP networks, helicopter monitor and SCADA systems.
- Monitoring the status of and remotely control NWS site equipment, monitoring the quality of data and signals, analyzing and correcting system faults, changing equipment parameters and configurations.
- Liaising with 22 Wing System Maintenance (SM) and requesting authorization for system downtime, verifying operational status of NWS equipment after downtime, entering data and ensuring the accuracy of Equipment Status Reports.
- Informing 22 Wing SM, NWSO and RCL/CBO personnel of site emergencies/outages/incidents.
- Responding to NWSO or 22 Wing SM on requests for clarification on the status of NWS operations and maintenance activities.
- Reviewing corrective maintenance work requests for priority, work estimation and feasibility.
- Reviewing work orders upon completion.
- Assisting with duties of the NWSCC Communications Technician.
Secondary Duties, as required, may include but not be limited to:
- Performing preventive maintenance on communications equipment at the NWSCC.
- Providing guidance and training to customer personnel in establishing operation, maintenance, and inspection procedures and techniques.
- Analyzing equipment failures to determine cause and recommending corrective action
- Assisting in effecting design changes to improve equipment efficiency and/or reducing cost of operation.
- Providing feedback on preventive maintenance programs.
- Participating in installation planning phase, keeping performance and maintenance records on equipment.
- Performing the duties of an Electronics Maintenance Technician.
- Assisting in the maintenance of the Site libraries.
- Conducting environmental, safety, security and quality checks and audits, general housekeeping in support of a healthy and safe workplace environment and taking proactive and corrective measures in these areas.
- Performs other duties as assigned which are transient in nature.
Individuals with 5 years of experience on the job training working with radar/communications electronic systems, and completion of postsecondary program in an electronics field or CF military equivalent, are encouraged to submit their resume.
- Strong knowledge of radar, IP network systems, with ability to read and interpret related drawings and manuals.
- Proficiency in the use of commercial test equipment and tools used in troubleshooting and repair of electronic circuits.
- Knowledge of telecommunications, RF, satellite systems is considered an asset.
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel and Maximo.
- Customer service and detail oriented.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Must be able to meet shift work requirements. Department functions 7 days per week, 24 hours per day.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Experience working with geographically dispersed work locations.
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity and an understanding of work in the Canadian Arctic.
- Successful candidates will be required to complete a criminal reference check and pass a security clearance check to a secret level through the Canadian Government.
Raytheon Canada Limited is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a wide diversity of applicants. Raytheon is committed to providing long-term, sustainable and meaningful economic benefits for Inuit Beneficiaries and their communities through activities such as on-the-job training, mentorship and skills development at all levels of employment. If you are an Inuit Beneficiary or a Land Claim Beneficiary from the Nunatsiavut, Nunavut or Inuvialuit Settlement Region you are encouraged to submit your resume.
NWS promotes employment equity as part of the Legislated Employment Equity Program and encourages those who are: a woman, an Aboriginal person, a person with a disability or a member of a visible minority to apply. Individuals contacted for a job opportunity should advise the company of any accommodation measures needed in a timely manner.
Successful completion of security clearances are required by candidate prior to starting on the program. Candidate must complete a criminal reference check and pass a security clearance check to a level as required for the position through the Canadian Government. 161652
Instructions for Applying: